X32 PRODUCER: How do I add one of the 8 internal effects to the sound?
There are two types of effects that are commonly used:
- “Effects Loop” (side chain) style effects, where multiple channels all send varying amounts of their signal to a common effect, such as a reverb, delay, or chorus.
- “Insert” style effects that are inserted in to the signal path of a single channel of audio. Examples would be a graphic EQ, filter, exciter,or tube emulator.
To apply an “Effects Loop” style effect:
- Press the “FX” menu button. The main screen will show the FX home screen where different effects processors are assigned to the 8 processing slots.
- Adjust rotary encoder #6 to highlight the first effects processor; it will be surrounded by an orange outline.
- Adjust rotary encoder #1 and rotary encoder #2, selecting your desired bus as the source for both the left and right inputs of the first effect processor.
- Adjust rotary encoder #5 to select a specific effect processor, such as “Ambience”.
- Select the fader bank button labeled “Effects Returns” on the left side of the console. Bring the faders labeled FX1L and FX1R up to 0 dB in case they are not set to this value by default. In the initial setup, these returns are stereo linked and automatically send to the main LR bus, but it is also possible to send them to the other buses as well. For this, press the HOME button next to the screen while the return is selected, then go to the SENDS tab with the PAGE SELECT right button and adjust the send levels for the return to the other buses, or use the dedicated BUS SENDS controls.
- Back on the EFFECTS page, press the PAGE SELECT right button to switch the screen to the editor for the Ambience processor. The screen will switch to an editor page for the first processor. Adjust the rotary encoders to tailor the effect to your liking.
- To apply the effect to assorted input channels, select an input channel, then adjust its “Bus Send” knob to taste. As the bus send level is increased, more of the channel signal will be sent to the Ambience effect. Repeat this process with other channels you wish to send to the Ambience processor.
To apply an “insert” style effect:
- Press the “EFFECTS” menu button.
- As the effects on the left side are also able to handle complex send effects like reverb, the slots on the right side shall be used for insert effects like limiter, graphic EQ, etc. You can also use insert effects on the left side,but this will limit your use of reverbs and other processor-intensive effects.
- Adjust rotary encoder #6 to highlight one of the effects processors on the right side; it will be surrounded by an orange outline.
- Adjust rotary encoder #1 and rotary encoder #2, selecting “Insert” as the source for both the left and right inputs of the effect processor.
- Adjust rotary encoder #5 to select a specific effect processor, such as “precision limiter”.
- Select the specific input or output channel you wish to use the inserted effect on.
- Press the HOME button, then the PAGE SELECT right button to navigate to the selected channel’s “Config” screen.
- Adjust rotary control #6 to select the specific processor you have applied the effect to, in this case “Ins FX 5L”. Press the encoder to connect the selected insert effect.
- The Precision Limiter is now applied as an insert on the selected channel. Sending more than one channel through the same insert effect is, of course, prohibited. There will be a warning when you try to insert an effect slot that has already been used as an insert on any other channel. Both sides of a dual type effect can be used as inserts on different channels or buses.