X32 RACK: How do I add one of the 8 internal effects to the sound?
There are two types of effects that are commonly used:
- “Effects Loop” (side chain) style effects, where multiple channels all send varying amounts of their signal to a common effect, such as a reverb, delay, or chorus.
- “Insert” style effects that are inserted in to the signal path of a single channel of audio. Examples would be a graphic EQ, filter, exciter, or tube emulator.
To apply an “Effects Loop” style effect:
- Press the “Effects” menu button. The main screen will show the FX home screen where different effects processors are assigned to the 8 processing slots.
- Adjust rotary encoder #6 to highlight the first effects processor; it will be surrounded by an orange outline.
- Adjust rotary encoder #1 and rotary encoder #2, selecting your desired bus as the source for both the left and right inputs of the first effect processor.
- Adjust rotary encoder #5 to select a specific effect processor, such as “Ambience”.
- Rotate the Channel Select knob until 1 L appears in the channel number display and press the knob. Use the Channel Level knob to bring the return up to 0 dB. Turn the Channel Select knob to the right one click so that 1r appears in the display, the press the knob. Bring the return level up to 0 dB.
- Back on the Effects page, press the PAGE SELECT right button to switch the screen to the editor for the Ambience processor.
The screen will switch to an editor page for the first processor. Adjust the rotary encoders to tailor the effect to your liking.
- Press the Home button again and tab over to the ‘sends’ page. Raise the virtual faders for the channels to which you want to add the effect. The higher you raise the fader, the more of that channel's signal will be sent to the processor.
To apply an “insert” style effect:
- Press the “Effects” menu button.
- As the effects on the left side are also able to handle complex send effects like reverb, the slots on the right side shall be used for insert effects like limiter, graphic EQ, etc. You can also use insert effects on the left side, but this will limit your use of reverbs and other processor-intensive effects.
- Adjust rotary encoder #6 to highlight one of the effects processors on the right side; it will be surrounded by an orange outline.
- Adjust rotary encoder #1 and rotary encoder #2, selecting “Insert” as the source for both the left and right inputs of the effect processor.
- Adjust rotary encoder #5 to select a specific effect processor, such as “precision limiter”.
- Select the specific input or output channel you wish to use the inserted effect on.
- Press the HOME button, then the PAGE SELECT right button to navigate to the selected channel’s “Config” screen.
- Adjust rotary control #6 to select the specific processor you have applied the effect to, in this case “Ins FX 5L”. Press the encoder to connect the selected insert effect.
- The Precision Limiter is now applied as an insert on the selected channel. Sending more than one channel through the same insert effect is, of course, prohibited. There will be a warning when you try to insert an effect slot that has already been used as an insert on any other channel. Both sides of a dual type effect can be used as inserts on different channels or buses.